In recent decades, public enthusiasm for history and popular engagement with the past has grown dramatically. The popularity of history is manifested most visibly in the proliferation of television documentaries and historical dramas but it is also discernible in the rebirth of the historical novel, the organization of large-scale commemorations of historical anniversaries, the development of new historical museums and exhibitions, re-enactments and living history activities and the emergence of public history as a separate field of academic study. Digitization has also brought history and historical research to the broader public in hitherto unconceivable ways. Yet, for the most part, and with some notable exceptions, academic historians have remained extraneous to these developments, and their relationship to the public is different from that of public historians.
Le blog de la Fédération internationale pour l'histoire publique (FIHP) informe sur les activités de la IFPH-FIHP et promeut les débats internationaux entre historiens publics
PUBLIC HISTORY INTERNATIONAL
is a field in the historical sciences made up of professionals who undertake historical work in a variety of public and private settings for different kinds of audiences worldwide. The settings in which they work may include international and transnational organizations, governments at all levels, as well as local, regional, or national non-profit, corporate, cultural and educational institutions.
- The Contested Histories project made news in Chile July 10, 2020 EuroClio
- Parallel Histories: An interview with Michael Davies and Theo Cohen on how to handle teaching controversial history in the classroom July 9, 2020 Michael Davies
- 6 Internal Site Search Recommendations to Europeana July 8, 2020 Fani Partsafyllidou
- Race and Policing Front Page Dialogue June 23, 2020 Ashley Nelson
- Upcoming Webinars and Activities June 19, 2020 Ashley Nelson
- The Past Is Present: Sites of Conscience in Solidarity June 2, 2020 Ashley Nelson
What is Public History for You?
Welcome to #IFPH2018, São Paulo, Brazil, 21-24 August 2018
- Fighting Truth with Facts July 9, 2020 Tschiggerl, Martin
- Narrowing Interpretations July 9, 2020 Chapman, Arthur
- Beyond Fear – Modern Exam Formats in History July 2, 2020 Hellmuth, Thomas
- Simple Examination Tasks Instead of Complicated Tests! July 2, 2020 Gautschi, Peter
- وجهات نظر حول “العصور الوسطى” في متحف اللوفر أبوظبي June 26, 2020 Oesterle-El Nabbout, Jenny Rahel
- Around the Field July 8, 2020 July 8, 2020 NCPH Office
- Request for Proposals: NCPH Seeks to Fund Virtual Projects and Programming July 2, 2020 Meghan Hillman
- We need to talk about public history’s columbusing problem June 25, 2020 GVGK Tang
- Around the Field June 24, 2020 June 23, 2020 NCPH Office
- Exploring History While Social Distancing: Campus Tours and the Clio App June 16, 2020 Steven Cody Straley